All 2nd year "Learn to Fly Fish" (Novice) students who wish to join the 3rd yr LTFF "Intermediate" class must register here to be allowed to participate in the 2017 Intermediate fish-outs.
The 2017 STEP 3 program is for those previous Novice anglers who want to expand their fly fishing experience to more species and more venues as Intermediate students.
There will be up to six fish-outs offered in California and at least two fish-outs out-of-state (in Nevada and Montana) in the 2017 Intermediate program. Although there is NO formal classroom instruction, there will be several hands-on clinics to teach special skills such as casting shooting heads & sinking lines and what you need to know about float tubing, as well as other informational clinics and pre-meetings for some of the fish-outs to discuss gear, logistics, carpooling, camping, etc.
Among the Intermediate fish-outs to be offered in 2017 that are being scheduled now are the following:
1) a 2-day guided fish-out to Pyramid Lake, NV in early April to fish for the famous giant Lahontan cutthroat trout unique to this strange lake;
2) a one-day guided fish-out on the Sacramento River in early June to do battle with the hard-fighting American shad;
3) an introductory fish-out in the Surf at Pajaro Dunes later in June to cast a fly rod for surf perch, stripers, and other ocean species, including a very informative pre-mtg./clinic presented by our noted guide on how to fish our biggest and arguably closest fishery;
4) the second weekend of July will feature 3-days of guided float fishing for both feisty rainbows and big brown trout on a spectacular blue-ribbon tailwater section of the Missouri River in western Montana, including 4 nights lodging in a wonderful house on the river with fabulous catered dinners (don't miss this very popular trip --it's a real eye-opener to what Montana has to offer fly anglers!);
5) a one-day guided fish-out in either late September or early October to fish from float tubes or other personal watercraft for land-locked striped bass in the O'Neill Forebay (below the San Luis Reservoir);
6) a three-day guided road trip to the Upper Sacramento and McCloud Rivers in late October to learn where to hunt there for rainbows and brown trout;
7) a one-day guided fish-out to the Trinity River to either swing or nymph for Steelhead in mid-November.
8) a partial day walk-n-wade outing to cast for stripers in one of the SF Greater Bay's many bays or sloughs, most likely in the early fall.
Each of the above LTFF Step 3 Intermediate fish-outs will be posted as a separate calendar event once the date has been confirmed and the registration fee determined for that fish-out.
Only those Intermediate students registered for the 2017 class in THIS calendar posting will be informed first by email as soon as each fish-out is opened for registration. Note that most fish-outs will be limited to less than the full class, so registration will be limited to those first to sign up.
The class registration fee for this program is $125, which charge is in addition to the fish-out registration fees -- for which there will be NO refunds unless a replacement can be found who is willing to pay for the open spot. The program director or class manager will assist in, but is not responsible for finding such a replacement; and the negotiation for and collection of any such payment shall be directly between the registrant and his (or her) found replacement.
Students in the 2017 Intermediate Class will likely be called upon to volunteer to help with various future club events and the "graduates" from this class may be asked at some point to help mentor other LTFF Beginner or Novice students or to even take more formal roles in running the program. This LTFF program is dependent on the willingness of students past and future to so participate in making it a continued success so that others have the chance to learn this sport.
The Intermediate Class will be limited to 15 students, so be sure to sign up NOW to ensure yourself a spot in this fantastic fly fishing learning opportunity -- and the chance to continue developing some long-time fishing buddies!